A tick infestation can become a serious problem at home. Contrary to what you think, not only do they appear due to the presence of cats or dogs, it is also possible to take them to the house without you realizing it, stuck on your clothes.
At home, they nest in damp, dark spaces, hoping to bump into the next guest to continue their life cycle. There are multiple ways to remove ticks from the house and garden, we show you the most effective methods!
Index of contents
- 1 Steps to remove ticks quickly and easily
- 2 Commercial products to remove ticks at home
- 3 How to remove ticks from home with homemade methods?
- 3.1 Lemon / Citrus against ticks
- 3.2 Remove ticks with salt
- 3.3 Botija and oleander pinion against ticks
- 3.4 Eliminate ticks with baking soda
- 3.5 Essential oils to prevent ticks
- 4 How to remove ticks in the garden and yard
- 4.1 Fumigate sulfur to kill ticks
- 4.2 Dishwasher to remove ticks
- 5 Prevention of a tick infestation
- 5.1 Plant aromatic plants
- 5.2 Use diatomaceous earth
Steps to remove ticks quickly and easily
No commercial or homemade product will have the desired effect if you do not take into account some previous steps before:
- You need to deworm your pet. Be it a cat or a dog, if ticks are at home for your furry friend, you must protect him against them; otherwise you will not end the plague.
- Deep cleans all spaces in the house. Vacuum floors, furniture, rugs, corners, surfaces, etc .; this way, you will catch some ticks and their eggs. When done, close the vacuum bag and dispose of it in an airtight container.
- Spray and wash fabrics with hot water, such as cushions, rugs and curtains, in addition to all the family’s clothes. The heat will remove the eggs from the ticks.
- Keep the hygiene in your pet’s belongings and clean all your objects with hot water.
- How to Deworm a Dog
Commercial products to remove ticks at home
In the market it is possible to find different products formulated to eliminate ticks that are in the home. Is it so Formulated with chemicals that are toxic to ticks, their eggs and the nymphs, killing them from the beginning.
Despite their effectiveness, these products should be administered with caution, as most are dangerous for children and pets.
The most popular products are:
- Tick sprays: Sold in metal bottles with an atomizer-shaped nozzle. They are used to spray floors and walls.
- Insect repellents for clothing: They can be used at home during a tick infestation, in the garden or during walks to mountainous areas. Most of these repellents are sprayed on people’s clothing, thus chasing away ticks.
- Insecticidal floor cleaners: complement an anti-tick treatment. It is a product suitable for cleaning the floors of homes.
- Ultrasound devices: It is an electronic device that emits an unpleasant sound frequency for insects and, therefore, for ticks. It is recommended to use it in the company of other methods, to cover all possible accesses of ticks to the house.
As for the brands and product names, they vary according to the area in which you live. Some known are: Talstar, Coopex Pintura, Ficam, Anasac Pest Control, Bug B Gon, Repel 100 and / or Cyperkill 25 EC.
You can check in the stores in your town about the most effective brands. It is recommended to follow the instructions of the insecticide you purchase to use it properly.
If the plague has spread a lot and you don’t know how to get rid of it, hire a fumigation service.
How to remove ticks from home with homemade methods?
Many people prefer to use natural or home remedies to remove ticks from the home. The reasons are multiple, but most are inclined to eavoiding the side effects of exposure to chemicals, in addition to looking for sustainable and non-polluting options.
Once we have thoroughly cleaned the house, it is advisable to apply these homemade methods.
Lemon / Citrus against ticks
Citrus fruits are pleasant for humans, but many animals find their odor unbearable, like ticks.
In a bowl, place 3 slices of lemon and 3 of orange. Cover with warm water and let them rest for a couple of hours. Then strain the slices and use the water to spray the kitchen surfaces and scrub the floors.
This method works to combat a tick infestation and also to prevent its recurrence.
Remove ticks with salt
You can use this homemade solution after doing the general vacuuming of the house. You just need ordinary kitchen salt and a vacuum cleaner.
Spread the salt all over the house, is a food that attracts ticks. Then simply vacuum the salt and discard the hermetically sealed bag.
Botija and oleander pinion against ticks
Aromatic plants are another home option to control a tick infestation. In this case, prepare a natural repellent mixing botija pinion leaves, oleander, rosemary and 3 lemon slices. Cover with water, let stand and then strain the contents.
With this preparation, spray the floors, clean surfaces and spray near doors and windows.
Eliminate ticks with baking soda
Baking soda has multiple uses at home, one of them is Serve as a cleaner and insect repellent. To prepare this repellent you need 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of common salt and 1 tablespoon of water.
Mix all the ingredients until you create a paste; if necessary, add more baking soda or salt to obtain the necessary consistency.
Use this remedy to cover tho
se fissures where ticks enter, such as holes in the wall, joints in windows, etc.
Essential oils to prevent ticks
Essential oils emit pleasant smells, but very strong for most insects. Acquire eucalyptus, peppermint, peppermint, lavender and tea tree oil in health food stores.
In a container with 2 liters of water, add 10 drops of oil tasting and mix well. Use this preparation to spray the house, works for prevent the entry of ticks.
How to remove ticks in the garden and yard
Ticks not only enter houses, it is common to find them in gardens, where they develop their natural life cycle. If you found that you have a tick infestation in your garden, apply these first steps:
- Eliminate all fallen leaves and dry branches.
- Prune trees to reduce shadow areas.
- Discard garden waste, dry logs, and any other unused objects.
- Prevents children from accessing the garden while the infestation persists.
After completing these steps, you can apply these remedies to remove ticks from the yard :
Fumigate sulfur to kill ticks
Sulfur is a chemical component characterized by its yellow color and pungent odor. It is possible to acquire it in drugstores and pharmacies, since has insecticidal properties. Patio tiles, cement spaces and carports can be dusted with sulfur, after cleaning, to remove and ward off ticks.
Note that this component is toxic, you should not use it near your plants and it is not recommended if you have pets, as it is lethal. Similarly, do not allow children to approach the place treated with this chemical.
Dishwasher to remove ticks
The products used for tableware not only have cleaning properties, but they also have antiseptics and antifungals. For this reason, they can help you remove ticks from your yard.
In a container with 5 liters of water, place half a liter of dishwasher and 4 cloves of garlic. Let it sit for several hours and then use the water to clean the patio. The strong odor will drive away ticks.
These remedies should only be used in your yard, not on plants. For the garden, there are tick insecticides that are safe for plants. Find out in the nurseries of your locality about the most suitable products.
Prevention of a tick infestation
The work against ticks does not end when they are gone, you must maintain some methods to prevent them from reappearing:
- Deep and frequent cleaning of the home.
- Garden and patio maintenance.
- Periodic deworming of your pets.
In the garden, apply these natural methods to repel ticks:
Plant aromatic plants
As with essential oils, most aromatic plants are unpleasant to ticks and insects in general.
Plant peppermint, peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender plants, the scent will keep ticks at bay. This method must be complemented by other preventive measures.
Use diatomaceous earth
Diatomaceous earth is popular as fertilizer ; However, too repels insects from the arachnid family, such as mites, spiders, and ticks. The method of use is the same as that used with other fertilizers: remove the soil where you want to place it and mix, taking care that the fertilizer is not too deep.
These preventive garden methods also complement the tick treatment you apply at home and in the yard.
Removing ticks from the house is a process in which you must use several methods, only then will you end them. If necessary, remember that you can hire a professional to handle the process and get better results.