Fruit is one of the healthiest and most natural foods that exist on our planet. Specifically, watermelon and melon contain excellent nutritional properties, so when you eat a little, don’t forget to share it with your dog.
If you are wondering if it is good for your dog to eat watermelon, the answer is yes. But how in everything, in its proper measure and always seedless. The same goes for melon, it is very healthy but in small portions. Do you want to know its benefits and the recommended amounts?
- Do not miss: Suitable fruits in the feeding of a dog
Index of contents
- 1 Is it good for a dog to eat watermelon?
- 1.1 Benefits of watermelon
- 1.2 How much watermelon can a dog eat?
- 2 Is it good for a dog to eat melon?
- 2.1 Nutritional benefits of melon
- 2.2 How much melon can a dog eat?
- 3 Disadvantages of a dog eating melon or watermelon
Is it good for a dog to eat watermelon?
Of course, watermelon is a fruit with a lot of water, vitamins and minerals. A healthy source of fiber and it is also very rich. What can be wrong with it? Actually, if you have something wrong, the seeds and the sugar.
So watermelon is good as long as we give it in small portions, without it being an important part of our dog’s total daily diet. A little from time to time, seedless, it is very healthy.
Benefits of watermelon
Let’s review the main beneficial properties of this delicious fruit, which our dogs love so much.
- Contains a good amount of vitamins A, B and C.
- Watermelon is rich in minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, or iron.
- It contains a large amount of water that will help keep our dog hydrated.
- It contains no fat and is very low in calories, it is not fattening.
- Contains natural antioxidants and fiber.
How much watermelon can a dog eat?
Everything goes in relation to the size of the dog, since it is not the same a Yorkshire that a Saint Bernard right? A small dog you must eat a very small portion of watermelon, as an example, a piece the size of our thumb, broken into pieces so that it does not choke.
A large dog will be able to eat even a small slice of watermelon without problems, since in proportion, the amount will be similar to what we have given to a small dog.
Fruit should never assume more than 5% or 10% of the total feeding of our dog. Since they are carnivores, their diet must be mainly composed of animal proteins.
Is it good for a dog to eat melon?
Of course, melon is also a fruit with a large proportion of water and many vitamins and minerals beneficial to the health of our dog. But we must always give it in small portions and without seeds.
Nutritional benefits of melon
Let’s see quickly and easily what are the beneficial properties of melon.
- The melon contains a large amount of water, helping our dog to stay hydrated.
- Melon is a diuretic.
- It contains a large amount of vitamins A and C, in addition to folic acid.
- It is rich in fiber, facilitating intestinal transit.
- Contains natural antioxidants and provides kidney benefits.
How much melon can a dog eat?
The amounts of melon that a dog can eat a day without feeling bad, is in proportion to its size, as is the case with watermelon.
A small dog should not eat more than 10% of its daily diet, which is equivalent a piece about the size of an eraser. We will always give our dog chopped to avoid choking.
A larger dog will be able to eat a larger portion, although always in proportion. If we abuse the melon it will not be so beneficial for him.
Disadvantages of a dog eating melon or watermelon
Actually if we give it small portions there should be no greater problem. Although as a precaution, it is always advisable to start with a very small piece and wait at least a day to assess how it has suited you.
The dangerous thing about melon and watermelon is abusing the quantity, if we give our dog too large a portion, we can cause a diarrhea, vomiting and / or discomfort in your digestive system.
The most danger of these fruits are the nuggets, which are totally contraindicated in the feeding of our dog. We must avoid eating them as they are harmful to them.