What to do if my dog ​​bites or licks a toad? – Very important!!

Spread the love

toad hidden in grass

An encounter between a dog and a toad can really end badly. The reason? Toads release a poisonous substance that can seriously affect your fur.

Therefore, knowing the symptoms and acting quickly in a case of toad poisoning, is vital to save your life. Since I’m a dog We explain how to act.

Index of contents

  • 1 What happens when a dog licks or bites a toad?
  • 2 Symptoms of frog poisoning in dogs
  • 3 Poisonous toad classes in Spain and the United States
  • 4 Most common treatments
    • 4.1 The importance of the subsequent weeks

What happens when a dog licks or bites a toad?

The toad’s defensive system means that, when licked or bitten, it secretes a stinging liquid through the skin to defend itself and thus avoid being eaten.

This reaction can cause acute intoxication in our furry friend, when coming into direct contact with this substance through the mucosa, the mouth or the tear ducts.

When the poison enters the bloodstream, circulatory and nervous system disorders begin, along with other symptoms you should know about.

toad hidden in grass

Symptoms of frog poisoning in dogs

During poisoning from contact with the poison of a toad, the most frequent symptoms that you will see in your dog are the following:

  • Involuntary seizures or muscle movements
  • Arrhythmias, tachycardias, or rapid breathing
  • Tremors and muscle weakness
  • Diarrhea, dizziness, and vomiting
  • An excess of salivation
  • Very dilated pupils
  • Stupor and difficulty keeping balance
  • Very red or bluish mucosa
Related content  Entropion in dogs - Causes and treatment

If you detect these signs in your dog and you remember seeing him playing or trying to hunt a toad in the field shortly before, chances are that it is a bufotoxicosis, which is the name that this poisoning receives in medical terms.

In this case, don’t waste time waiting for it to improve on its own. You must immediately wash your mouth of the dog with water and lemon juice and take it as soon as possible to the nearest vet.

lake dog

Poisonous toad classes in Spain and the United States

Obviously not all toads are the same and there are those with a greater or lesser level of toxicity. Among those who pose a higher risk of poisoning for our canine friends, we find:

  • The Colorado River or Sonoran Desert Toad. It is present mainly in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico.
  • The cane or marine toad. Native to Central and South America.

These species are prohibited from entering Spain legally, so it is unlikely to find them here. Despite this, the general recommendation is to always keep your dog friend away from any batrach, as they all have the same natural defense system.

A toad may not be dangerous to humans, but it can be deadly to our furry ones.

So be very careful: if the dog lives on a farm or is used to walking in wet areas such as rivers or lakes, monitor him closely and do not let him chase or play with toads.

Too late? So don’t stop to find out what kind of toad it is and, especially if the dog begins to show any sign of poisoning, go out whistling for the vet.

Related content  Why does my dog ​​eat dirt? Main reasons

Most common treatments

Once in the consultation, the vet will perform a first physical examination of the dog, while we give him all the details about what happened and the symptoms. The specialist will clean the mucosa of the dog.

If you have ingested the toad, you should induce vomiting and sedate it, if necessary, to remove the remains. The priority objective is stop the poisoning process and stabilize it.

Once the furry has managed to overcome the most acute phase of the crisis, he will be under observation. You will be given drugs, which will help you eliminate toxins and reduce their effects.

The importance of the subsequent weeks

The weeks after this episode will be key to see how it responds to treatment and to see if the poisoning has left any type of sequel. The size of the dog, its age and the previous state of health, will be decisive when it comes to combating poisoning of this type.

Too your care is very important. You must follow the veterinaryn’s instructions, constantly check that the dog is well hydrated and administer the doses of drugs that he needs. This will help you maintain a good heart rate and treat nervous symptoms and seizures.

Finally, washing the areas that have been in contact with the toad will reduce the amount of toxic that may still be present.