Toxic flowers in dogs: Cempasúchil

Spread the love

Why is the Cempasúchil plant toxic to dogs?

Although it is a very showy, showy and highly used plant in flower bouquets and decoration of parks and gardens…. Cempasúchil has in its sap a toxic substance called Thiophene.

Thiophene is distributed throughout the plant, so that both the flower and the leaves, stem and root are toxic. It is a colorless substance with a pleasant odor, something that can deceive us if we do not know its harmful properties.

Although the amounts of this substance in Cempasúchil plants are low and not very poisonous to humans, dogs present other symptoms against this toxin. Its ingestion can be fatal for our pet, even causing death.

What are the symptoms if my dog ​​eats Cempasúchil?

The main symptom caused by this plant is irritation, so that if our dog eats a copy of Chinese carnation for fun, mischief or accident … He will suffer irritation in the lips, mouth, throat, esophagus and digestive organs.

They may also appear skin irritations similar to those of other diseases, in localized or dispersed areas. In addition to inflammation, mainly in the mouth area. In principle we may think that you have been bitten by an insect such as a wasp or bee, that is why it is so important to know this plant and to know the problem it causes in dogs.

Related content  Would you like to adopt León?

inflamed dog mouth

What should I do if my dog ​​eats a Chinese carnation?

It is necessary to go to a veterinaryn and indicate what happened, if you have doubts about the plant, it is best to take a sample and also take it to the veterinaryn so that he can evaluate it and verify that it is a toxic plant.

Normally, a corticosteroid treatment for a few days is enough to mitigate the symptoms, although in extreme cases it may be necessary to enter the dog for a few days.

What you should never do is downplay the problem, you can even if your dog does not show symptoms immediately it may develop after a few minutes or even an hour. If you don’t go to the vet, you may be putting your pet’s life in danger.

Curiously, this flower is also called the flower of the dead … and not for its mortality in pets, but for the Mexican tradition of using this plant.