Can a dog eat grapes? Be careful, they are toxic!

Spread the love


Dogs like us love to eat fruit, since they are delicious and they are also very hydrating, they contain vitamins, minerals and toxins. Yes, you read correctly, they contain toxins that are generally harmless to humans but not to dogs.

Grapes are a toxic food for dogs, this means that if they eat them, they will become intoxicated and suffer pain and health problems, even death if the quantity is very large.

  • You may also like: Symptoms of poisoning in dogs

Index of contents

  • 1 Why are grapes toxic to a dog?
  • 2 What if my dog ​​eats grapes?
  • 3 My dog ​​has eaten grapes, what do I do?
  • 4 Common symptoms in dogs that have eaten grapes

Why are grapes toxic to a dog?

In fact, the toxin contained in the grapes has not yet been discovered and it feels so bad for our dogs. But what has been discovered is that causes severe kidney damage and depending on the quantity, even death.

Both fresh grapes and dried grapes, also known as raisins, are highly toxic to dogs, so we must eliminate them completely from their diet.


What if my dog ​​eats grapes?

Depending on the amount you eat, you will vomit and suffer from diarrhea and stomach pain as general symptoms. But if you eat a lot, you will probably even die.

Related content  Why does my dog ​​look me in the eye? Meanings

The amount of grape that is fatal to a dog is estimated at 32 grams per kilogram of weight for fresh grapes and 10 grams per kilogram of weight for dried grapes. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual.

My dog ​​has eaten grapes, what do I do?

The first thing you should do is find out how many grapes he has eaten and if the dog has not vomited on his own, help him vomit. For this, it is recommended that you call your vet and follow the instructions that he gives you.

In case you have eaten a large quantity of grapes, go to your vet immediately to have a stomach wash and start treating it to avoid kidney damage and failure.

There is no home treatment you can use with your dog, it is absolutely necessary that you go to a vet.


Common symptoms in dogs that have eaten grapes

If you suspect that your puppy has eaten grapes, but you don’t know for sure, you can watch it to see if you notice any of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting and / or retching
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst
  • Urinating excessively
  • Clumsiness, lethargy and / or apathy

Any other symptoms that are not described but that are strange in your dog should be considered as a possible confirmation that your dog is intoxicated from eating grapes.