When we adopt a puppy for the first time, we do not even imagine the problem they can pose at night, since they cry and bark to get our attention and to be listened to.
Puppies sleep many times during the day but only for a few hours, so it is completely normal for them to wake up several times during the night and cry or bark. Noise can affect our sleep obviously, but the worst thing is that it will also affect the neighbors and it is something that we must avoid.
We will review the best techniques and tricks to prevent a puppy from crying or barking, at night or when we leave him alone at home. We simply have to be very patient and do them correctly.
Index of contents
- 1 How to prevent a puppy from crying at night
- 1.1 Can I take my puppy to sleep with me so he doesn’t cry?
- 2 How to prevent a puppy from crying when left alone
How to prevent a puppy from crying at night
The first thing we should know is that a puppy is the equivalent of a human baby, it is simply a small being that needs to be with its mother. If our puppy is not with its mother, it is completely normal for it to cry and bark, just long for it and call it.
So we must have patience, a lot of patience with our puppy, since it is possible that it cries not only one night, but many nights. To make the puppy adapt as well as possible to his new home and stop crying when we sleep, it is best to follow these simple guidelines.
- Adopt the puppy in the morning, so he will have the whole day to get to know his new home and family, sniff everything, etc …
- If possible, rub a clean cloth with the puppy’s mother for a while to catch its scent. We will leave that rag at night in the puppy’s bed, so that he can smell his mother and calm down.
- Put a small needle clock under your bed, this way you will hear a soft “tick-tock” similar to the noise of your mother’s heart.
- Put a bag of warm water on your bed or under a blanket on your bed to simulate your mother’s body heat.
- Leave a dim light always on, so you don’t wake up in complete darkness and panic.
- Never come if you cry at night, because if we do, you will get used to it and cry whenever you want to get our attention.
With these guidelines, our dog will sleep more peacefully and it is possible that it will not cry at night, but if it does, it is also positive to follow these examples because its adaptation period will be shorter.
Can I take my puppy to sleep with me so he doesn’t cry?
Of course! But only if you plan to always let him sleep with you. If it is only for one night or for a few days, you better not do it … because later it will be much worse to get used to sleeping alone.
However, if you’re not worried about him waking up several times a night and possibly waking you up to play… you can sleep with him and keep him from crying. But remember that from that moment on, he should always sleep with you.
Never get a dog used to sleeping with you and then force him to sleep alone and away from you, because he will have a very bad time.
How to prevent a puppy from crying when left alone
Not only puppies cry in this situation, adult dogs also cry for what is known as separation stress. If we put ourselves in their situation and see how our family leaves and leaves us alone…, wouldn’t we also cry? Well, they bark, cry and sometimes break things.
To prevent a dog from crying when it is left alone, we should try to educate it if possible as a puppy, following these guidelines. If you are already an adult, we will put them into practice as well, although it may take longer to assume them.
It is very positive to teach them from puppies to be alone, leaving the house for a minute and then going back inside. This way the puppy will see that nothing happens because you only went out for a minute.
With time we will increase the time we spend outside, from one minute we will go to five, from five to fifteen, from fifteen to thirty … Everything is progressing gradually, week by week.
In this way the dog learns to stay alone and not cry when we leave, although you can also use these simple tricks that will help a lot:
- When you leave home leave the television or radio on, the dog will hear voices and will not have the feeling of being alone.
- Use “Kong” type entertainment toys, putting healthy food or dog friendly fruit inside so that the dog is entertained trying to get it out.
We must be patient and work this every day, a dog is not used to being alone for two days … it takes time. Remember that a good walk before leaving him alone helps a lot to be relaxed, as long as he is more than six months old (puppies should not be forced to walk, just let them play).