It is a common evil among dogs, which can cause their health to be compromised. We refer to diarrhea, an indisposition that must be treated with a good diet and making sure that your furry drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Do you want to know what are the best foods for dogs suffering from diarrhea? Take note.
Dog-friendly astringent foods
Canine diarrhea can have various causes, from intestinal bacteria to food poisoning or allergy. Once we have identified what the problem is, the goal is to stop it. And the main way to achieve this is through food.
However, as a first step it is recommended a 24-hour fast. During this period you should prevent the dog from eating any kind of food. The essential thing is that you drink water, even if you initially vomit it. If he doesn’t drink alone, you can help him with a syringe.
After a day, if there has been some improvement, you can start giving it a bland diet. The main astringent foods suitable for dogs are the following:
- Chicken or turkey. Both are low-fat meats, which will help you recover. Being weaker, it does not tolerate heavy meals well.
That is why, in addition to the type of food, the way of preparing it is key. Try to eat chicken or semi-cooked turkey, without salt and without any type of bone. You must distribute it in small portions, which you can give throughout the day.
- Rabbit. It is another type of meat suitable for dogs with diarrhea. You can alternate it with the chicken one. You should also prepare it without any seasoning and using the least possible oil.
- Fish. A good option in these cases is steamed hake. This food will help you generate new proteins and regulate fluids.
- Boiled rice. It is a cereal that has many properties, including astringency. In fact, it is one of our best allies when it comes to stopping diarrhea.
It contains a substance that helps it to improve, reducing the frequency of bowel movements. Ideally, mix it with white meat or fish. You can also make a thick rice soup.
- Broth. Another option for a more liquid diet is a natural homemade chicken broth. For this you can boil the chicken in water and let it warm. It is a good way to hydrate it and stimulate your appetite until it is more tolerant of solids.
- Apple. It has digestive and astringent properties, making it a good fruit to treat diarrhea and stomach problems. In addition, it has a high content of vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties. Of course, remember to remove the heart with the seeds and the skin.
All these foods will gradually allow the dog’s body to reach adequate levels of nutrients, minerals and liquids. Distribute this food in several doses and, if it is very weak, crush everything well until you get a puree.
Remember: If our dog is down, listless or shows any strange symptoms or behavior, it will be totally necessary to go to the vet.
What you should not do if your dog has diarrhea
Although you can complement these foods with some vegetables and other fruits to improve your vitamin intake, remember that not all of them are adequate. Avoid any citrus or leafy vegetables, and if you opt for foods like squash or carrots, don’t serve them raw – cook them to be more digestible.
Also do not use onion or leek in your preparations. Remember that avocado, grapes, raw potatoes or raisins and seeds are also prohibited foods.
In addition to taking care of the type of food you eat, if your furry is not feeling well, don’t force him to eat it all; also don’t give him large portions of food. Try to eat 4 or 5 times a day in small amounts to avoid empachos. Little by little you will see that he will be feeling better.
Normally an episode of diarrhea usually lasts between two and three days. If you see that more time passes and it doesn’t improve, don’t hesitate to take him to the vet so you can check your status and diet. In addition, the expert will be able to examine you and treat you with other means when food is not enough to relieve diarrhea and gastric discomfort.